Saturday, January 31, 2009

In Store Now - A Case for Historic Premillennialism

I'm excited about this new arrival. The market is so saturated with the popular "left behind" theology that few Christians realize there is any alternative. This work is most welcome and long overdue. Roger Olson says "It's about time we had a scholarly presentation and defense of historic premillennialism, which is probably the majority view of the 'end times' among theologically trained evangelicals." (from the back cover) The book is edited by Craig L. Blomberg, distinguished professor of New Testament at Denver Seminary, and Sung Wook Chung, associate professor of Christian Theology at Denver Seminary. Contributors include Craig Blomberg, Oscar Campos, Sung Wook Chung, Helene Dallaire, Donald Fairbairn, Richard Hess, Don J. Payne, and Timothy P. Weber. This will go to the top of my reading list and I'll give you my initial thoughts next week. I'm curious to see what kind of response this book may produce. I recall the volley of books between Walvoord, Ladd and Gundry. We probably won't see anything like that but I imagine someone at Dallas Theological Seminary or Moody Bible Institute (my alma mater) won't remain silent for long. If not books then the journal reviews will prove interesting. As a "convert" to historic premillennialism I'm happy to see a work that I'm sure will be current, competent and civil. It is a paperback, 184 pages and sells for $19.99.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the most documented - and shocking - articles I have ever seen in print is titled "Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty" and I found it on the "Powered by Christ Ministries" site where it is now being featured in a colorful, photographic layout. I surely would love to see some reactions to it. Clare