Saturday, February 27, 2010

Coming Soon from Baker Academic - Ephesians

The Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (BECNT) is one of my favorite New Testament commentary series.  It consistently delivers quality exegesis in an accessbile format.  One of my regular customers came in this week and asked for a recommendation on a commentary on 1 Corinthians.  She's never ever asked me a question like this before so I was tentative in my recommendation but told her I really liked David Garland's 1 Corinthians. I showed her a sample passage out of chapter 13.  It just so happened that that was the chapter she was studying so it was an appropriate choice.  She bought the commentary.  The next day she returned and said she was really enjoying it.  She was so impressed that she bought Grant Osborne's Revelation.

So I'm very excited to tell about the next contribution to the BECNT series: Ephesians by Frank Thielman.  The catalog description follows:
"Noted New Testament scholar Frank Thielman offers a substantive yet accessible commentary on Ephesians in this latest addition to the award-winning BECNT series. With extensive research and thoughtful chapter-by-chapter exegesis, Thielman leads readers through all aspects of the book of Ephesians--sociological, historical, and theological--to help them better understand its meaning and relevance."
"As with all BECNT volumes, Ephesians features the author's detailed interaction with the Greek text. This commentary admirably achieves the dual aims of the series--academic sophistication with pastoral sensitivity and accessibility--making it a useful tool for professors, students, and pastors. The acclaimed user-friendly design includes shaded chapter introductions summarizing the key themes of each thought unit."
New Testament scholar and commentator, Craig Blomberg, says this about the BECNT series:
"In this age of unprecedented proliferation of biblical commentary series, it is an outstanding accomplishment for the Baker Exegetical series consistently to have produced what with only rare exceptions have become the best available commentaries on the Greek text of the New Testament book or books treated."--Craig Blomberg, Denver Journal
Look for it this November (I know for some of you I'm stretching the meaning of coming soon).  It will be hardcover with 592 pages and sell for $44.99.

1 comment:

Scripture Zealot said...

Great to hear. I love BECNT and I also like and read Garland's commentary.

I wonder why it says 'chapter-by-chapter exegesis' when it's verse by verse.
Jeff