Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In Store Now - The Good News We Almost Forgot

I'm excited that we finally received Kevin DeYoung's newest book The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism.  Kevin has quickly become one of my favorite writers and I look forward to reading this since my knowledge of the Heidelberg Catechism is minimal.  Here's a couple of paragraphs from the introduction:
"I love the Heidelberg Catechism, not like I love my wife or I love the Bible, but in a deeper way than I love the Chicago Bears and a more eternal way than I love a good deep-dish pizza. 'Love' and 'Catechism' are not two words usually heard together, unless it's something like 'I love that my church doesn't make kids learn catechism anymore.'  Nevertheless, I freely confess I love the Heidelberg Catechism.  I love it because it's old, it's biblical, and it's true.  It's not perfect.  It's not infallible.  It says too little about some subjects and too much about some others.  But it is through and through trustworthy and beautiful, simple and deep.  Most of all I love the Heidelberg Catechism because I love the gospel it expounds and the salvation it proclaims."  (14)
And,
"I have been privileged to have a few books published before this one.  And while I loved working on all of them and trust they all were of some help to the church, none of them warmed my soul and drew me closer to God like this one.  This book may not seem as timely and I doubt royalty sales will cause me to seek out tax-sheltered annuities, but that's not why Christians should write books anyway.  I wrote this book so that others might be drawn into the same gospel ocean that has refreshed me.  The gospel summarized in the Heidelberg Catechism is glorious, its Christ is gracious, its comfort is rich, its Spirit strong, its God sovereign, and its truth timeless.  You can meet Christ here, if you will simply come and see."  (18)
Kevin DeYoung is the senior pastor at University Reformed Church in East Lansing, Michigan, across the street from Michigan State University. A graduate of Hope College and Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, he serves on the executive team of RCA Integrity, a renewal group within the Reformed Church of America. DeYoung is coauthor of Why We're Not Emergent. He and his wife, Trisha, have four children.

The book is from Moody Publishers with 256 pages and sells for $14.99. 

No comments: