Thursday, July 23, 2009

Coming Soon from Baker Books - Grounded in the Gospel

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I wanted to highlight some forthcoming titles from Baker Publishing Group. Over the next couple of weeks I will show you some that I'm most excited about or have peaked my interest. These are all featured in the Spring 2010 catalog so you won't see any of them till next year.

This first one is by J. I. Packer and Gary A. Parrett called Grounded in the Gospel: Building Believers the Old-Fashioned Way. This book is addressed to church leaders and the focus is on how to build believers and why it's important. Contemporary evangelicals have lost the importance of what is know as "catechesis--systematic instruction in the faith foundations, including what we believe, how we pray and worship, and how we conduct our lives." This book will lay the ground work for restoring this tradition to the church. Coming later will be a catechism. I'm looking forward to this because I do think the training of believers has become hit or miss with little rhyme or reason. The reformed churches do a much better job on this score.

Look for it near April 2010. It will be a paperback with 272 pages and sell for $16.99.

J. I. Packer is Board of Governers' Professor of Theology at Regent College and an executive editor for Christianity Today.

Gary A. Parrett is Professor of educational ministries and worship at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.

No comments: