Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Prayer for the Beginning of the Day from the Mosaic Bible

I just received my copy of the Mosaic Bible from Tyndale (thank you Gary) and was looking through it and was struck by this prayer from Philaret of Moscow (Russia/1782-1867). This is a great prayer for someone in retail. Of course the prayer is for anyone and everyone and I'm pretty sure Philaret was not thinking of retailers when he penned this but I found it uniquely appropriate in a number of places.

O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon thy holy will. In every hour of the day reveal thy will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul, and with firm conviction that thy will governs all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events let me not forget that they are sent by thee. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray, pray thou thyself in me. Amen. (275)

3 comments:

Andrew R said...

What exactly is the front matter of this book? I saw some of it today as I thumbed through it, but didn't catch it all.

Keith Williams said...

@Andrew
You can read through the introduction/user's guide and get a feel for the Mosaic content at this link or this one (the second is an online version of the companion Advent devotional).

If you have any more specific questions, fire away (I was the general editor for this project).

Gary said...

How appropriate Louis.